PNBHS NEWS

Mr Brent Costley

Picture of Ella Mitchell
Mr Brent Costley
by Ella Mitchell - Wednesday, 11 January 2017, 12:18 PM

Dear PNBHS Community,

Regrettably this morning I write to advise our school community of the tragic passing of Mr Brent Costley, a long serving staff member, who passed away on Monday 9 January 2017. Mr Costley was diagnosed with leukaemia at the end of 2016 and following the first round of chemotherapy Mr Costley had a severe infection and he had been moved to ICU. Mr Costley passed peacefully with his family around him. Our thoughts are with his family at this terribly sad time.

Below is an excerpt from the 2002 Palmerstonian written by Mr W Kersten (Associate Rector) when “Mr Brent Costley calls it a day after 28 years at PNBHS”.

Born in Christchurch, Mr Costley was educated at Linwood High School and subsequently at the University of Canterbury where he gained a Master of Arts with First Class Honours in History. He taught at Nelson College for three years before coming to Palmerston North Boys’ High School in 1974 to commence what was to become a very long tenure. His wife to be was already on the staff, and after becoming Mrs Dorothy Costley, she continued to teach and gain a reputation as one of the best Mathematics teachers in the history of the school.

As a teacher of English, Social Studies, Geography and History, Mr Costley’s students always discovered, early in each year, that they had been allocated a teacher who was not only knowledgeable and articulate, but one who was also very capable of getting through to students of all levels of ability. Students were not only well prepared for examinations; they had also accumulated a wealth of general knowledge which certainly impressed the more academic students. If Mr Costley’s students did not succeed in examinations then it was probably due to their own limitations.

Perhaps these comments made by an Old Boy at the school’s centenary best summarise Mr Costley;

“Mr Costley, as well as being an amazing teacher, taught me how to learn. The skills and knowledge that I gained from him I still use in my work and continuing study.” – Grant Nicholls, Eastern District Commander, NZ Police.

Soon after he arrived at Palmerston North Boys’ High School, his literary and literacy skills were called upon. In 1975 he was appointed teacher librarian and in 1983 he had a significant influence on the design and construction of what was then considered to be a very modern and functional library; a facility which continued to grow under his guidance.

Coaching and managing debating teams and involvement with inter-school Christian fellowship occupied a significant amount of Mr Costley’s co-curricular time. He was always very supportive of school music and drama. As such he arranged two music tours to Australia in the 1990s and was often seen to be front of house for school concerts and productions.

Although he wasn’t recognised for his in depth analysis of the body positions in the front row of a rugby scrum he probably had greater breadth of sporting knowledge than most of those who did. To this end he supported the sporting dimension of school life by managing the first and many other hockey teams as well as soccer teams over a number of years. By his own admission Mr Costley found the necessary commitment to sport a bore mainly because of his own lack of skill. However, countless numbers of boys have been to tournaments secure in the fact that all the off the field arrangements were well in hand.

As teacher in charge of school quiz teams for some 15 years, Mr Costley was a champion of the Manawatu Secondary School competition, which we currently know as the Jimmy Carter Quiz. Needless to say he was the Quiz Master of many inter-club competitions here at school. He was also able to clearly demonstrate how it should be done when he, and his son Matthew (it runs in the family), won the Sale of the Century Television Quiz programme, and in doing so netted a substantial prize, including the current family car. It was necessary on this particular occasion to absent himself from one of the few school functions (1994 Prizegiving) he ever missed.

The Palmerstonian is a fine record of the school’s involvements, achievements and its personalities. For twenty years Mr Costley was Editor in Chief and he, quite deservedly, became known as “Mr Palmerstonian”. In 1977 he was conned into writing a sketch book of the school which was first published to mark the 75th Jubilee. Fifteen years later, “Footprints” emerged as his personal selection of highlights chosen from previous Palmerstonians, dating back to 1907, compiled to celebrate the 90th Jubilee. Add to this his proof-reading and the contributions he made to the 400 page school centennial publication and the numerous other checks of written material have left everybody secure in the fact that their works will be without grammatical or spelling error.

In 1988 Mr Costley was appointed Senior Master and in 1997 Deputy Rector. It was in the role of the latter that I first came to know him and my first impression was that he was a man in complete control of his delegated responsibilities and who felt no need to interfere with the responsibilities that others had. It was very reassuring for me that, as a freshman, there was a person who could give unobtrusive counsel without bias or intolerance.

Students attending junior dances and senior balls will recall the stern warnings issued by Rector Syms at ticket distribution time. Mr Costley was never at variance with these comments, and he took it upon himself to ensure student morals were not compromised. While Mr Syms was barely ever seen inside the hall on these occasions (probably for a number of reasons, but mainly associated with what Keith Quinn was blurting through the car radio parked outside the old gym), Mr Costley was not afraid of the temperature gradient experienced by the invigilators as they ventured towards the seething interior. Any encounters of necking, pecking and groping between those showing serious or even mild affection for each other were quickly disengaged by a gentle tap on the shoulder and a comment such as, “we don’t allow that sort of thing in this hall”. It has been said, and it is now recorded, that on one of these occasions he inadvertently detached his own son from such an encounter. It was a similar situation at the annual school ball. However, the students could be excused for doubting the sincerity of his intentions after he said at one assembly, “I have seen a lot of balls in my time” …. I don’t know if the students regained their composure in that assembly.

It was obvious that Mr Costley always set out to complete his work on or before time. His even temperament (on most occasions) always disguised his consistent efficiency. It was the pragmatic aspect of his work that he wanted to excel in. He never thought of himself as a visionary or risk taker and, perhaps for that reason, never really aspired to lead his own school. This was also due to the fact for him, his family always came first.

Twenty eight years of association with a school is significant and the contribution he has made would not have been possible without the support of his wife, Dorothy and his family; two sons of whom (Matthew and Tim) were high achieving students of the school in the 1990s.

At his farewell earlier in the year accolades from a number of former colleagues recognised the contribution that Mr Costley had made not only to the school and the students, but to the education profession. Many new, and some not so new, teachers gained valuable experience from their association with him. Graeme Hucker, a young teacher in the 1980s found Mr Costley’s curriculum knowledge and understanding to be of enormous value and his teaching skills to be an inspiration in his own development.

Mr Brent Costley will certainly be remembered as the consummate educationalist, perhaps not by all students, but certainly by those he taught and worked with.

Although I worked with him for only three and a half years I, like many others, understand why he chose the words of H W Longfellow to prefix his jubilee publications;

Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime,
And, departing, leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time.

In December 2002, Mr Costley resigned after 28 years of dedicated service to Palmerston North Boys’ High School. Mr Costley went on to work for the Massey University College of Education where he had the responsibility for community relations.

In March 2012, Mr Costley returned to Palmerston North Boys’ High School in a Tertiary Liaison capacity. Mr Costley resumed his prior role as Editor of the Palmerstonian and did so for the remainder of his time at Palmerston North Boys’ High School, producing a total of 25 Palmerstonians in his time.

Below is an excerpt that Mr Costley wrote in his latest publication, the 2016 Palmerstonian;

And one of those things of which I have been proudest during those years is my connection with this school. It is a school that has pride, achievement, standards of decency and behaviour, and healthy attitudes towards competition, towards cultural activities, towards sports, but, primarily, towards learning. I was pleased with what my sons learnt here and the things they were involved in: I was delighted that they attended a school where there were so many choices, and where, no matter their ability, there was a group or team that they could be a part of. I am glad that the school has a philosophy of involvement that enables all boys to do things – hence, the large number of teams and groups whose activities are outlined in this magazine.

I wish to advise that Mr Costley’s funeral will be held this coming Saturday 14th January at 11 a.m. at the Central Baptist Church on Church Street. We ask that your thoughts are with Mr Costley’s family at this difficult time.

Yours faithfully,

D M Bovey
RECTOR