PNBHS NEWS

Student Profiles: Chris Arbuthnott

Picture of Gerard Atkin
by Gerard Atkin - Monday, 29 February 2016, 4:26 PM

For the third of the PNBHS student profiles series, Elliot Tuck had the pleasure of talking to PNBHS Prefect and Paralympic Swimmer Chris Arbuthnott.

ET: What would you say your greatest achievement during your swimming career?
CA: I would have to say my greatest achievement in swimming would be coming 4th place in the 100M butterfly at the Pan Pacific Championships in Pasadena, USA. I was never expected to even get into the final let alone get into the final and come fourth.

ET: To achieve at the level that you are you must train allot. How much training do you do a week and what sort of training do you do?
CA: I do a lot of training to get the results I do. On average per week, I spend approximately 13 hours in the pool and around 3 hours in the gym to complement my swimming.

ET: What advice do you have for young aspiring swimmers who want to be successful in their sport?
CA: My advice for young swimmers is to push yourself harder every time you feel like you’re swimming through tree sap. Also, just because you are not receiving the results in competitions that you feel you deserve, that is not a reason to quit, but just a reason to train harder.

ET: What advice do you have for people who have disabilities who want to push themselves in the sporting arena?
CA: My advice for people who have disabilities is; whenever someone suggests that you might not be able to do something, that is only an excuse to give it you're all.

For more information on Chris’s achievements in swimming, and to follow his progression towards the Paralympic Games in Rio, view and like his Facebook page by clicking here: