PNBHS NEWS

Ahmad Barzak – SVA Service Award

Picture of Gerard Atkin
i le Gerard Atkin - Friday, 27 September 2019, 2:59 PM

“Over my five years at Palmerston North Boy’s High School, I have been involved in many activities and served the community in many ways. These range from tutoring other students in my own time, to participating in school events like Volunteering at the Sir Gordon Tietjens Rugby tournament and Relay for Life. There are places I have taken the time to volunteer at outside of school as well, such as the Red Cross. All these events and actions you have taken where you believe it has helped the community, are recognised and the hours spent on each activity can be logged into the Student Volunteer Army website in order to achieve pins. It is very easy to log your hours into the website, and I personally found achieving the gold pin to not be as hard as I thought it would be compared to with the Barrowclough Programme, because SVA recognises the things you do over your five years, compared to just one. I believe the SVA award Programme and the Barrowclough Programme complement each other because if you do both, you’ll get acknowledged for the things you do in two ways, rather than just one. I would recommend giving the SVA Programme a try, because with just five hours of community service, anyone can get their first pin, and make a positive contribution to the community.”