PNBHS NEWS

"Loves Me Not” Programme for Year 12

Picture of Ella Mitchell
by Ella Mitchell - Thursday, 6 September 2018, 12:53 PM

In 2008, the horrific murder of Sophie Elliott by her former boyfriend and tutor, Clayton Weatherston, shocked New Zealand. Following her death Sophie’s mother, Lesley Elliott, quickly realised that if they had both missed the signs of an abusive relationship so could many others. So with the help of the Police she developed a programme called ‘Loves-Me-Not’ for Year 12 students.

On Wednesday 6 September, the Year 12 students at PNBHS completed the programme which included exploring healthy relationships and the sometimes difficult subject of relationship abuse and consent with the long-term outcome that young people live their lives free from the harm of unhealthy and abusive relationships.

‘Loves-Me-Not’ focuses on healthy (equal) relationships as opposed to unhealthy (controlling) ones.

The programme was facilitated by Police, Non-Government Organisations (Police, Oranga Tamariki (CYFS), Manline, Highbury Whanau Centre, Te Wakahuia, Womens Refuge, YOSS and Te Manawa Family Services) and staff from PNBHS. From this programme, the students will be able to:
• recognise qualities of good relationships
• recognise early signs of relationship abuse
• understand sexual consent, what it means, and why they need it
• apply critical thinking about who is advantaged by societal myths, and how these myths may perpetuate relationship abuse and acts of sexual abuse
• explore if, when and how to be an active bystander
• 'take action for change' for themselves, their friends and family, and the wider community to have safer communities together.

At the end of the day, the Police gave a copy of Lesley’s book to everyone. The book includes advice and suggestions on how to identify problems, how to deal with them and where to seek help.

A big thank you to everyone involved.