PNBHS NEWS

Max Zander – SVA Service Award

Gerard Atkin 사진
Friday, 27 September 2019, 2:58 PM 에 Gerard Atkin

"Throughout my time at Palmerston North Boys’ High School it has been a goal of mine to help the community as best I can. I have been provided with countless opportunities to give back and help out some meaningful causes. I have been heavily involved with the Sir Gordon Tietjens Sevens Tournament. Over my 5 years of volunteering, I worked as a touch judge, ball boy and in 2019 I was a field coordinator to assist with the running of the tournament. The relay for life is another event in which I have helped with. Over the last 4 years, myself and many other boys and girls run day and night for 24 hours around a track all in an aid to raise awareness and money for cancer research.

Through other service such as the 40 Hour Famine, Weetbix Triathlon, Blood Donor day and many more volunteering efforts, I have been able to accumulate over 500 hours of community service during my time at PNBHS. At a glance, this may seem unachievable over a 5 year period, but by simply giving up 2 hours of your week to help out the community some way, it is most certainly achievable. Whether it be tutoring, volunteering at community run events or simply being a mentor in your senior years, everything adds up. Although this work comes without payment, the effect you can have on other people’s days and even lives are priceless. Although I have been helping others, volunteering has also helped me to develop myself and I believe has made me into a better person."