Duke of Edinburgh
The Duke of Edinburgh Hillary Award is an internationally recognised award that encourages young people to show initiative and engage in personal challenge over a period of time.
The Award requires a time commitment; a minimum of 1 hour per week over a couple of months for each section.
How does it work?
Through a four section programme with three levels
The levels are
- - open to all aged 14 and over and lasting at
least 6 months
- - open to all aged 15 and over and lasting at least
- - open to all aged 16 and over and lasting at least
The sections are:
- Service- giving help in the local community
- Skills- covering almost any non physical hobby, skill or interest
- Physical Recreation- sport, dance and fitness
- Adventurous Journey- training for, practicing, planning and completing a journey on foot, horseback or by boat or cycle
Project- for the Gold level only - spending 5 or more days
on a purposeful project with new companions
The School's role is as a coordinator:
- Arrange the registration of students with the
DofE head office, receive and hand out student booklets and certificates.
- to assist students in making their choices for
the skill, physical recreation and service sections of the Award,
- to guide students towards appropriate training
for the Adventurous journey section.
- to 'approve' the tramp or other activities that
the students may undertake.
The students need to show initiative in organising themselves for the activities they do. It is not the schools role to find activities for the students.
The cost is approximately $100 in registration for each section, and is paid online at https://www.onlinerecordbook.org/
An approved organisation must provide the training and shadows for the Adventurous journey section. Either the Makahika Outdoor Pursuits Center, or Outdoor Training New Zealand provide these services in the Manawatu. You should be prepared to pay $250-350 for training and shadows for each level of the Award.
If you wish to participate in the Duke of Edinburgh programme, please see Mr Jochem in room C3.
All enquiries regarding the Award should be made to me by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2014 Silver qualifying tramp - Eastern Ruahines (Awatere hut)
2014 Bronze Qualifying tramp - Western Ruahines (Iron Gate hut)