PNBHS NEWS

Maori Men's Health Programme

Picture of Ella Mitchell
Maori Men's Health Programme
by Ella Mitchell - Monday, 13 June 2016, 10:54 AM

Mr Matene Love took a group of prefects to the breakfast launch of the new Maori Men's Health Programme and website this morning at the Manawatu Golf Club.

Guest speakers were local sports physican Dr Ra Durie and former All Black captain and hard man Buck Shelford.

Buck gave an emotional talk about how he was diagnosed with cancer 8 years ago and that the doctors didn't give him much chance of survival. While the news and prognosis was devastating to his family and the public of New Zealand, Buck realised he had 2 choices, wait to die or fight to live. He chose the latter.

Buck completely changed his lifestyle, lost weight, ate well, exercised and got regular treatment and check ups and is for now, cancer free.

Bucks message was simple. There are some things in life you can't control, but there are some things in life that you can. Your health and your lifestyle are two of them..

He finished his talk by discussing a book written by Australian nurse Bronnie Ware who over the period of several years interviewed terminally ill men about the most common regrets of their life. The five most frequents regrets were:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself and not the life others expected of me.

2. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

5. I wish I had let myself be happier.

Full article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2093810/Bronnie-Ware-The-regrets-dying-revealed.html