PNBHS NEWS

Head Prefect Welcome

Picture of Ella Mitchell
Head Prefect Welcome
by Ella Mitchell - Tuesday, 7 February 2017, 10:18 AM

Hello, my name is Patrick Takurua and I have the honour and privilege to serve as Head Prefect of Palmerston North Boys' High School and College House for 2017.

Over the my past 4 years at Palmy Boys' I have been thoroughly involved in opportunities across the school. This includes my cultural involvement in the school's music department - as a part of groups such as the OK Chorale (2016), Stage Band (2014-16), SOAP Choir (2015-16) and Blue Avenue Jazz Combo (2016). I have also had sporting involvements from social cricket to captaining the Development XV Rugby Team in a successful 2016 season. However, the leadership opportunities I have been immersed in over the last couple of years have been invaluable. These include the school's own Barrowclough Programme, 2016 Year 12 OPC, the 2016 yLead 'Rangatira' conference and the 2016 Fuji Xerox Next Generation's Leaders Programme. These opportunities have helped me significantly in my skills in working with people, from professional networking, to group/team coordinating and an idea of what issues face our youth today.

However, do these involvements alone qualify my for the position of Head Prefect? No, not alone, but I do believe it has put me in good stead to become a product of our school's vision: To develop educated men of outstanding character. I want to be able to replicate this in this year’s generation of PNBHS students, at an excellent standard. I want this year, to reiterate our traditions and core values as they always have every year. However, I also want every boy who comes through our gates at the start of 2017 to reach their potential and be involved in the school’s ethos, character and opportunities like I have endeavoured to. It’s this involvement - like in co-curricular activities and groups - that will help our young men to lead excellent lives and most importantly build their character.

This year promises to be a successful year, with the roll for 2017 currently standing 1838 boys' - the most in the past 115 years of the school's history. Furthermore, the leadership capabilities of the Prefect Group and 2017 Deputy Head Prefect Greg Shaw, stand the school in a good position to achieve highly this year, led by our senior students.

In the position of Head Prefect I now have the opportunity to encourage all students this year at PNBHS to grab opportunities by the scruff of the neck and pursue goals and passions with fervent determination and hard work. I wish you all luck in your endeavours for 2017, whatever they may be. This year will see our lads continue to become productive and well-mannered members of the community, to become 'good buggers' and uphold the legacy of what it is to be a Palmy Boy. I eagerly look forward to what challenges and successes 2017 will bring.