PNBHS NEWS

Youth Parliament

Picture of Gerard Atkin
Youth Parliament
by Gerard Atkin - Tuesday, 12 March 2019, 12:32 PM

Prefect William Wood is the Youth MP for the Rangitikei electorate in the 2019 Youth Parliament. Below is an update on his experiences to date.

"Being selected as Youth MP for the Rangitikei by Ian McKelvie was an incredible honour. I have had a passion for politics from a young age. When the opportunity came up to seriously engage in the politics of our nation I jumped at the prospect. The process began by sending in a short two-minute application video into Mr. McKelvie’s office. I was then shortlisted as one of the top five candidates to go for an interview with Mr. McKelvie and his staff. I wasn’t sure what to expect. However, my mind was put at ease when the interview became more of a general discussion as it went on. Ian and I veered off track and ended up discussing a variety of issues important to New Zealanders and to the Rangitikei. I heard back the next day that Ian would like to offer me the position as his Youth MP for 2019 which I was more than happy to accept.

As Youth MP my job is to provide a well-researched and balanced community perspective at the 2019 Youth Parliament to be held in the Term Two holidays this year. I have already started work in developing a Youth Advisory Group for the Rangitikei which will come into action later on this term. However, my position is about more than just attending the actual parliamentary event. I attended Ratana as Youth Representative for the Rangitikei alongside the National party delegation which included Simon Bridges, Judith Collins and Paula Bennet. I have engaged with other Youth MPs from around the country in developing ideas and initiatives. I have even been asked to lead events, such as being offered the position of media liaison for the Schools Strike for Climate Change for the Central North Island, a position which I was unable to take up. I will be completing a parliamentary address this year on a topic of my choice. As a student it is important to me that I provide a balanced view on a range of issues at Youth Parliament this year. This is why I will be discussing the state of our education system and the preparation which it provides us for life after home in my address.

Keeping up with the actual event of Youth Parliament is easy. The entire event will be live streamed on Parliament TV, and all speeches will be available online, as well as a transcript of the event after it is done. 120 young people will attend the two-day event, discuss a wide variety of topics in select committees and in general debate, ask questions of ministers and more. Anyone looking to engage in politics, be considered for the Rangitikei’s Youth Advisory Group, or just generally discuss an idea for the region feel free to contact me. I look forward to this opportunity which I have been lucky enough to be provided with."