PNBHS NEWS

Old Boy Mr. Chris Watts

Picture of Gerry Atkin
Old Boy Mr. Chris Watts
by Gerry Atkin - Tuesday, 7 May 2019, 10:40 AM

Thank you to Old Boy Mr. Chris Watts who spoke at the Head Prefect’s Assembly this morning.  Mr. Watts attended Palmerston North Boys’ High School from 2007 to 2011 and was in Albion club. 

Mr. Watts was heavily involved in Drama and the performing arts throughout his secondary schooling and was selected for the senior production in 2009, 2010 and 2011. 

The conscientious and determined approach that Mr. Watts displayed during his time at PNBHS has been integral to his effort to forge a career as an actor and playwright.  Mr. Watts had an important message about failure, describing the benefits that can come from failing through his own experiences: “Failure could be the best thing that ever happens to you – provided you don’t use it as an excuse.” 

Mr. Watts has taken many significant risks as he has sought to develop his career and we look forward to following his progress.  He is currently in Palmerston North to perform his solo show, Bleeding Black.  The following excerpt is from a 2017 Stuff review: “Watts wrote Bleeding Black in the final year of his theatre honours degree at Victoria University and said the solo play is an exploration of "what it means to be a young Kiwi bloke living in a rugby-mad world, under the roof of a rugby-mad father".

"When I was writing the solo I thought 'what is New Zealand's addiction?' And the first thing that popped into my head was rugby. It shows the antagonist and it shows somebody that we wouldn't usually want to sympathise with."

Mr. Watts is performing Bleeding Black at The Dark Room July 11 - 13