PNBHS NEWS

FLASHBACK FRIDAY- Visual Art Student

Picture of Gerard Atkin
FLASHBACK FRIDAY- Visual Art Student
by Gerard Atkin - Friday, 29 May 2020, 7:20 AM

Reuben Currie was a student at PNBHS from 2005 to 2008. He says “I left school and got a trade under my parents’ recommendation (they wanted me to have something to fall back on). After leaving school I did not pursue my interest in painting but rather every weekend followed my musical interests and worked as a builder for a living. I am now a project manager for LC Builders/ Origin Homes. Music was an interest of mine, but I never saw music as a career and eventually as work responsibilities grew, I let my music take a back seat.

However, I started selling my artwork by private commission. For me, I enjoy the challenge of bringing the buyers vision to life but keeping my own style and approach to each painting. Having a full-time job has somewhat worked in my favour because each painting is not restricted by time and I don’t rely on it for an income. This allows me the time to focus on making each piece in the attempt to create a masterpiece. I feel like this has helped me build the reputation as a fine artist and has been a great way to get a “lifestyle” income.

I have been very privileged to complete not one but two commissions for PNBHS. One hangs in the foyer by the main office as a gift from the prefects to the school. The other commission was for the HOD of Music, Graeme Young as gift for 25 years of service to the school.

I am currently working on creating a collection of NZ native wildlife and NZ game images. I intend to show these throughout New Zealand hunting lodges to try and target international tourism (when tourism can finally recover! -  Covid-19 has given me some time to create this body of work).”