Palmerston North Boys’ High School
Arrangements for Junior Examinations
Friday 18 (Day 10) – Thursday 24 (Day 4) June 2021
GENERAL INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
Study Leave Details: Friday 18th – Thursday 24th June:
All Year 9 and Year 10 students (excluding 10HO and 10SC) have study leave from Friday 18th – Thursday 24th June. 10HO and 10SC have no core examinations (as they are sitting NCEA Level 1
examinations). They have study leave on Friday 18th only.
Year 9 core examinations are in the morning and Year 10 core examinations are in the
afternoon. Year 9 option examinations are Friday morning and Year 10 option examinations are
Friday afternoon. The only exception to the above is full-year languages, which are during the week.
Period 1: 9.00am – 10.15am (no form time, period one teachers will read the notices, there will be a 9.15am bell for the start of the examinations)
Period 2: 10.15am – 11.15am
Interval – 11.15am – 11.35am
Period 3: 11.35am – 12.10pm
Lunch 12.10pm – 12.50pm
Period 4: 12.55pm – 2.10pm (SSR 12.55pm – 1.10pm. Note 1.10pm bell indicates start of exam)
Period 5: 2.10pm – 3.10pm
No assembly in the morning.
Make sure you are at the hall 20 minutes before the examination starts. Students sitting their examinations in classrooms need to be at their venue 10 minutes before the start.
Morning examination: 9.15am – 11.15am (Year 9) Be at the Hall 8.55am at latest
Afternoon examination: 1.10pm – 3.10pm (Year 10) Be at the hall 12.50pm at latest
All junior core examinations are of two hours duration. Option examinations are one hour
duration. Those students who have two option examinations will do both in the examination time period of two hours. Those students who only have one option examination will be permitted to leave after one hour.
Note: Students in 9WS, 9RS, 10HG; 10SN have 20 minutes of extra time for their core subject examinations. Their afternoon examinations begin at 12.50pm. (No bells for these classes).
· The examination timetable will be on Stratus and all students will be given a copy of this
information and the examination timetable.
· On Friday June 18 students with two half-year options will sit both in the one examination session.
· All students except LAC classes (and 9BX & 10TV) are in the hall for their four core subject examinations and their option examinations. The exception is full-year languages.
· Students are expected to be at the examination room at least 20 minutes before the examination.
· Students wishing to study at school will need to report to the library.
· Check you have the correct stationery requirements.
· Students who have lost study leave must report to the library as directed. A roll will be taken.
· During their study leave (Friday to Thursday) any junior student with morning and afternoon examinations (only those doing full-year languages) must remain at school and report to the hall for supervised study at 11.35am. This includes bus students and day pupils who are at school to study.
9.15am – 11.15am
Examination Timetable Information
Note that all Year 9 examinations are in the morning and all year 10 examinations are in the afternoon. Option examinations are on Friday 18th, with the exception of full-year languages.
1.10pm – 3.10pm
All core examinations are in the school hall except the following:
9RS (H1) 9BX (H2) 9WS (H3) 10SN (H1) 10HG (H2) 10TV (H3)
· All classes, including the above, have option exams in the hall. The exception is full year language examinations which occur Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in D7& D8. These students will be given additional information by Mrs Dickinson.
Students Who Miss Examinations:
· The Deans will organise as many catch-up examinations during the week.
Important Things to Remember:
· Students must wear the correct school uniform to the examinations and be appropriately groomed.
· Students are to go to the toilet before the examination commences if they need to. The supervisors are not going to let a huge number of students go to the toilet during the examination as it disrupts other students.
· Note that students are not permitted to have their own writing paper in the examination room.
· Students may not drink water during the examination.
· Students who finish exceptionally early will be instructed to make a better effort or expect to re-sit it in their own time. In such cases, the finish time will be recorded on their paper. School procedures for poor performance will be followed in such cases.
· Students who finish within 30 minutes of the end of the examination (and not before) may read their SSR book.
· All students are to remain in the hall/examination room for the full duration of the examination.