PNBHS NEWS

Baxter Perry is 'The Fonz' in Happy Days

Picture of Gerard Atkin
Baxter Perry is 'The Fonz' in Happy Days
by Gerard Atkin - Tuesday, 8 March 2016, 1:56 PM

Year 13 student Baxter Perry has the lead role of ‘The Fonz’ in the school production of Happy Days, which opens this Thursday in the Speirs Centre. We caught up with Baxter to find out some more about his involvement in the dramatic and performing arts at PNBHS.

Baxter has “always been into music” and completed his first musical at Huntley School when he was a pupil there. Having seen PNBHS musicals he was keen to get involved, something that started with ‘Whistle Don the Wind’ in 2013. Happy Days will be the fourth production that Baxter has been involved in at Palmy Boys.

Baxter’s involvement in the performing arts began in Year 7, and extends to a range of bands and choirs. He has competed at Rockquest three times, and is planning on a fourth entry in 2016. Baxter’s musical interests are widespread, and he has been a member of a variety of jazz groups and is auditioning for the OK Chorale for 2016. A goal for him is to represent PNBHS at the National Big Sing Finals as a member of chorale.

One of Baxter’s biggest struggles with his acting is to stop himself from smiling onstage – “It happens naturally. I used to get nervous but I’ve gotten used to it and now it doesn’t affect me.” 
Baxter likens the Fonz to the “king of the town” in Happy Days. Despite being older than the other kids, he hangs out at the local high school and diner. “All the guys want to be like him and all the girls want to be with him. His motorbike is his main asset, closely followed by his hair and his leather jacket.”

Baxter hopes to continue his involvement with the theatre after he leaves school. We wish Baxter and all the cast and crew of Happy Days all the best for their upcoming season – Break a Leg.

There are still a limited number of tickets available, click here to purchase.